What is it:
Parasite is a small blog CMS written with PHP's PEAR::DB.
- Supports Paul Hixie's pingback
- HTML-safe highlighting, paginated search
- Spell Checking (requires Aspell)
- Text-file article upload (additional, not sole method)
- Weblogs.com ping
- User-definable article templates (complete control over the look of your blog)
- Nice URI's for permalinks
- Access-key's for most UI features
- Article previews
- Optional entry titles
- Two styles of RSS headlines
- register_globals safe
My other blog is usually running the
bleeding-edge version of Parasite, so you can see all of the
reader-side features (like searching, etc) there.
I don't have a demo of the admin interface, so you'll have to settle
Bug Reports/Feature Requests
Don't use this software. It's old and full of holes.
A browser that supports cookies,
PHP 4.1+ (with magic_quotes_gpc turned ON)
MySQL or a PEAR::DB supported database
Spell checking requires Aspell
Current version: Parasite v1.0.2
Download and expand the tarball. Read the README file.
Opera is not (and will not be) supported for anything other than reading a Parasite site. Parasite has only been tested with MySQL on Debian GNU/Linux, YMMV.
- Removed MySQL specific AUTOINCREMENT (see UPGRADE)
- main.php checks php.ini to see if the gzip handler is on.
- Fixed a bug preventing the article deletion from working.
- Fixed a bug preventing the article upload from working.
- Included a check for PEAR::DB
- Cleaned up errors when no articles are present.
- Title strings are search highlighted now too.
- Included the correct user.php
- Included the correct editor.css-dist
Parasite uses Simon Willison's SpellChecker class, Keith Devens' XMLRPC class. Parasite also uses icons created by Jimmac.
Many thanks to those authors for releasing their work as Free Software.
© 2009 Sam Rowe. All rights reserved.